Wednesday 13 February 2008

Back on the bike

A few years ago I used to cycle to work almost every day. Then I moved house, which made the cycle journey longer but shortened the car journey, had some surgery, which stopped me doing anything physical for a while, and got lazy. The cycle commuting pretty well stopped.

Earlier this week I received my car's VED reminder, which prompted me to think "shouldn't I have had an MOT done by now?". I dug out the last MOT certificate and found it expired two weeks ago! Normally I receive a letter from my garage reminding me to arrange a service and MOT in January. I phoned the garage, but was put through to another garage entirely. It seems my usual garage has gone bust, which is a shame as it was conveniently close to work and staffed by good, honest people. Anyway, the car's due to go in to this other garage on Friday.

Until then, I'm back on the bike. It's a bit of a shock to the system, and my legs are not liking it. At least the weather's being cooperative. The frosty mornings might be a bit cold, but it's a hell of a lot better than wind & rain. Cycling through the park this morning, with layers of mist creeping over the trees and distant dog walkers silhouetted against the rising sun, really made me wish I had a camera with me.

No comments: